Saturday 29 July 2017

Beach treasure; Collections I & II


Beach collections II   watercolour on paper 20x24cm approx   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec


I was playing with some of my beach finds looking at the colours, textures and shapes. I thought rather than painting them in isolation as I usually do I would put them into an arrangement for a group portait. These are the first two -  there will be more. It's interesting to build a relationship in the colours, textures shapes and the linear rhythms. I enjoyed including the sea china, glass and pebbles which are given context with the shells and feathers, otherwise they just read as abstract shapes and colours.

As I write this I am thinking that this may be another avenue to explore on another day it would be interesting for me to return to abstraction after so long...... So many possibilities and so little time especially now that school is out and there is a little one to have adventures with. More trips to the beach! Yippeee!


Beach treasures collection I   watercolour on paper 20x24cm approx   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec


Both of these images are available as reproduction prints, stationery and greetings cards on Redbubble/lisalequelenec.

4 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Lisa, I just love your "group portraits!" What a creative idea.
Your adventures at the beach with your little one will provide both of you with such sweet memories. May the two of you treasure every moment spent there.

RH Carpenter said...

Very nice groupings - I imagine you could work on that for a long time to get the group just right :) Enjoy the summer holidays and finding more treasures!

Caroline Simmill said...

The group portraits work beautifully Lisa.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Chris, thank you so much! It has certainly been a summer of exploration so far and jolly good fun.


Thank you Rhonda, it's surprising how long it can take to make a composition of separate and yet together items. The little one is starting his own collections - pebbles are catching his eye the most still.


Hi Caroline I hope you are having a lovely summer up there. Thank you and best wishes.